Formed of a 6-car DMU with a Metropolitan-Cammell (Class 101) 3-car set trailing, the 1.10pm Edinburgh Waverley to Dundee train passes northwards through the closed Donibristle Halt during March 1964. The adjacent Donibristle Industrial Estate was under development at the time and Donibristle Halt was ideally-situated to serve it, but the area was not served by rail until the opening of Dalgety Bay Station a short distance to the south on 27th March, 1998. [W.A.C. Smith]
The Edinburgh Waverley to Aberdeen leg of the LNER Society LNER Pacific Tour, headed by ex-LNER Class A3 4-6-2 No. 60052 Prince Palatine, has just passed the connection to Burntisland Aluminium Works as it rounds the curve towards Burntisland Station on 4th September, 1965. Full details of the railtour can be found here. [George Woods]
Burntisland station is 6¾ miles from Inverkeithing Central Junction. The present through station replaced the original Edinburgh & Northern Railway terminus at Burntisland when the Forth Bridge and the connecting Aberdour Line opened in 1890. The original station building still stands, at a rather odd angle to the current station. A covered passageway, which has recently been removed, ran from the old station building facing Forth Place to the platforms of the present (1890) station. There are substantial docks by the station, built to cater for railway ferries to Granton on the opposite shore of the Firth of Forth prior to the building of the Forth Bridge, and for the export of coal.
Headed by ex-LNER Class A3 4-6-2 No. 60052 Prince Palatine, the Edinburgh Waverley to Aberdeen leg of the LNER Society LNER Pacific Tour crosses the viaduct over Harbour Place on the approach to Burntisland Station on 4th September, 1965. Full details of the railtour can be found here. [George Woods]
Ex-LNER Class A2 4-6-2 No. 60532 Blue Peter sweeps past Inverkeithing Central Junction on the main line from Kirkcaldy and Dundee with the 12.40 Aberdeen to Edinburgh Waverley express on a hot and hazy afternoon in August 1959. This locomotive survives today and has passed this way in recent years hauling special trains. Blue Peter was a racehorse belonging to Lord Rosebery which won the 1939 Derby and 2000 Guineas. [W.A.C. Smith]
Viewed from the B891 road from Inverkeithing to Crossgates (the old Great North Road, prior to the building of the M90 motorway), ex-NBR Class J37 0-6-0 No. 64569 leaves Inverkeithing with an excursion to the Fife coast formed of eight non-corridor carriages, 29th June, 1957. These locomotives were designed for heavy goods traffic but were frequently used on summer Saturdays for excursions and relief passenger workings. Inverkeithing Yard and the line to Rosyth and Dunfermline can be seen in the background. [David A. Anderson]
Aberdour Station serves the village of Aberdour in Fife. It is situated 4¼ miles from Inverkeithing Central Junction and 2½ miles from Burntisland, and opened on 2nd June, 1890, as part of the improvements associated with the opening of the Forth Bridge. The station was the location of a camping coach.
Aberdour is presently served by two trains per hour in each direction during the day from Monday to Saturday; these stop at all stations between Edinburgh Waverley and Kirkcaldy. One train per hour continues to Markinch, while the other runs to Glenrothes with Thornton and continues around the Fife Circle to Edinburgh via Dunfermline.
The station is beautifully-tended and has won many 'Best-Kept Station' awards. The signal box, disused since 1979, remains in situ on the 'up' platform.
Ex-LNER Class A2/3 4-6-2 No. 60519 Honeyway passes through Aberdour Station with the 15.40 Aberdeen to Edinburgh Waverley train, 10th August, 1957. Honeyway was the racehorse that won the 1946 Champion Stakes. [W.A.C. Smith]